The Food and Supplies Department purchases food grains for central pool on the Minimum Support Price fixed by the Govt. of India and same is delivered to Food Corporation of India. The procurement of food grains requires huge funds which is managed by taking loan from State Bank of India after getting sanction from the Reserve Bank of India for CCL (Cash Credit Limit) to avoid extra Financial burden on the State Exchequer during procurement seasons. The loan taken by the department is returned to the State Bank of India with interest on receipt of payment from Food Corporation of India.
The process of procurement of food grains and other activities of the department are carried outby the staff of District offices of the department and supervision is carried out by the headquarter staff. The establishment expences are drawn under major head2408-Food Storage and Warehousing. However, the establishment expenditure incurred are chargeable under Major Head- 4408- “Capital Outlay on Food Storage and Warehousing” (Non-Plan). The Government ofIndiare-imburse the Establishment Cost @ Rs. 2.5% of MSP of Wheat or actual Establishment expenses, whichever is less.Besides above the pay and allowances of the Consumer Affairs Department is also operated under the major head”2408 Food Storage and Warehousing” (Non -Plan).
- The Food and Supplies Department also enforce, the following acts/rules through Weight andMeasuresOrganization:Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Act, 1955.
- Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Rules,1985.
- Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Rules, 1985.
- Standards of Weights and Measures (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 1987.
- Enforcement of certain Control Orders issued under Essential Commodities Act, 1956.
- Standards of Weights and Measures (National Standards) Rules,1988.
To enforce the above acts/rules necessary staff has been deployed for this purpose and their salaries are operated through Plan/Non Plan heads of accounts i.e. 3475-OGES. The Weight and MeasuresOrganization is not only a service organization but it also contributes revenue to the State by way of charging, manufacturing, repair, license fee, fee for verification, stamping of commercial weight and measures, weighing and measuring instruments used in transaction for commercial activities.
The yearwise details of incidentals in respect of Wheat, Paddy/CMR, Bajra and budgetory details areas under: