Department, inter-alia, is entrusted various responsibilities like:-
- Procurement of food grains under the Minimum Support Price (MSP) Scheme of the Government of India. Proper storage with a view to upkeep the health of procured food grains till these are delivered to Food Corporation of India (FCI).
- Enforcement of National Food Security Act, 2013 and operation of Public Distribution System (PDS) with special emphasis on Below Poverty Line (BPL), including Antodya Anna Yojna (AAY) Ration Card Holders,
- Maintenance of supplies and securing equitable distribution and availability at fair price of certain essential commodities like Petrol, Diesel and Domestic Gas etc.
- Enforcement of the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act, 2019
- Enforcement of the Legal Metrology Act, 2009 and allied Rules.
- Enforcement of certain Control Orders issued under Essential Commodities Act, 1955.